- Fill it out this way:
- The description can be anything.
- Your email address should be whatever email address you want your mail to have. If you use nova.org (as shown above) then enter that. If you have a custom domain name (e.g. ‘bobsmith.com’) and your email address is ‘email@example.com’, then enter that.
- Enter your Full Name the way you want people to see it in their email program.
- Enter ‘mail.nova.org’ for your email server.
- Your user name is the userid that you use to login to your email server. It may or may not be the same as part of your email address.
- Be sure that ‘mail.nova.org’ is your outbound server. Be sure no authentication and no SSL is checked here. Click the OK button.
- Look for the “Advanced” tab. Click that button (highlighted blue below). You will see the following options:
- Click on the “Use SSL” option.
- Be sure “Authentication” is set to “Password.”
- Be sure you have checked the “Remove copy from server after retrieving a message” option.
- That’s it for configurations. You should now be able to click the “Get Mail” button and download your mail.
Every time you run the mail program (at least with Mac OS X 10.3 and later) you will see this error the first time it talks to the mail server:
Unfortunately, it is hard to make that error go away. There are instructions at macosxhints.com. Good luck.